[LOVE TIP] First mushrooms, first figs, first root vegetables.. and first soups are coming! Hence I could have posted on a celeriac-horns of plenty purée, a delicious bowl of banh canh (the Vietnamese version of udon).. but I couldn’t pass the current serious buzz on “magic” cake : one batter, 3 layers with different textures : dense custard, onctuous cream and airy sponge cake.. How tempting is that? And how magic is that? :)
For all the lazy ones and/or the undecisive ones (“what should I pick on the menu? You!- go ahead..”) and/or the 3in1 fans (why do you think BB cream-CC cream-.. ZZ cream are so successful?), this is THE cake to try. Plus it requires only 15′ of setting up for 3 hours of rest. Isn’t it an eligible activity for the we?
One of the funniest part of this cake, is that you can bake it with some vanilla but you also get to customize flavors to your tastes. Options are endless.. I am thinking of pandan coconut, matcha rapsberries, black sesame and strawberries, osmanthus and yellow peaches, coconut and banana, rose pistachio, well… at this stage you ‘ve guessed I’m always the last to order in a restaurant! Matcha and rapsberries are going to make it for a first run !
Recipe (6-8 ). 15′ of preparation, 1h of baking, 3h of rest in the fridge
4 eggs, 125 g of butter, 100 g of brown sugar, 3 ts of matcha powder diluted in a ss of water, 1 ts of vanilla extract, 120 g of flour, 50 cl of milk , 100 g of rapsberries, 1 pinch of salt , 1 mold of 20 cm diameter covered with baking paper
1. Preheat the oven at 6. Melt the butter
2. Whisk the eggs whites with the pinch of salt. Separately whisk the egg yolks with the sugar.
3. Incorporate to the yolks -in this order- : melted butter, matcha and vanilla, flour and milk. Then carefully add the whipped eggs without breaking them. They should float at the surface of the batter which is quite liquid. Don’t worry, this is normal.
4. Pour half of the batter in the mold. Add the rapsberries and then the rest of the batter
5. Bake for 50′ at 5-6 without convection heat or else diminish the baking time by about 15′. The cake is ready when the center is still shaking… If you overbake it you will loose the cream layer so don’t hesitate to check and shake your mold… Once ok, retrieve from the oven, set aside and after one hour you can store it in the fridge for 2 more hours. You could prepare this magic cake the day ahead, even better !
As it was a first, I had to extend the baking time twice because my oven was not hot enough for indications at 5… So really you should adapt to your oven specifications, these are really indicative, and sorry for that, but this is the only “critical” part of the magic cake. Then it is sooo good that I found it was really worth the trial! Will definitely bake it with other flavours..
What about you? what do you feel like to try?