Anti inflammatory food : the curcuma-walnut-ginger band aid
[HAPPY VEGGIE/NUTRIgastronomie] One week ago I badly fell and hurt my knee. I am going now through the classical path : IRM, doctor, physiotherapy… sob.. I received some very useful info : some ingredients decrease the production of prostaglandin and other molecules responsible for inflammation (thanks Benjamin!). Hence this recipe : lentils and vegetal semolina with curcuma, walnut, ginger and lemon..In 30′ prepare a meal to nurture you and helps preventing inflammation. It combines the benefits of curcuma and walnut oil, rich in omega 3. Also note that you should limit your consumption og red meat and dairies (along with sugar and alcohol). Because anti inflammatory medication often induce secondary effects on gastrits, limiting them while adapting your diet may be a good option to consider
For 2, 30′, easy
– 100 g of lentils, thyme, curcuma, ginger(+carrot, shallot, optional to add flavor)
-1/4 of cauliflower, quickly mixed to make vegetal semolina. It looks good, it tastes good, rediscover cauliflower!
– condiment walnut, chive, lemon and white miso (which also contributes to boost immunity)). Otherwise simply use salt.
1. Golden in some oil the curcuma, ginger and shallot. Add 20 cl (small cup) of water, the lentils, carrot and thyme. Let simmer for 15′ until all water is absorbed. Fresh curcuma exhales delicious scents of fresh fig leave and roots. It has been used in Ayurveda for ages for its anti-oxydant and anti-inflammatory properties. Eaten on regular basis it will help your immune system be more resistant and contribute to prevent numerous types of cancer. If you don’t have any, you can also grate some ginger. Note that curcuma nutrients are best released in fat. So it’s good to add some oil in the lentils
2. Steam the vegetal semolina (I simply use a bamboo basket on top of the lentils). Everything cooks at the same time. I’ve been 20′ in the kitchen and it’s almost done.
3. Condiment with walnut oil (to stock in the fridge once open) : mix chives with 4 ss of walnut oil, add lemon juice and salt (or white miso). This condiment can be kept for a week and you can use it with veggies, fish, salad.. Walnut oil just like flaxseed oil is rich in omega 3. Good for skin, mood and of course it prevents inflammation (while corn and sunflower oil are rich in omega 6). The aim is to balance omega 3 (that we generally lack) with omega 6 (that we generally overconsume). Omega 3 can also be found in fat fish (mackerel, tuna, salmon, sardines..).
4 Set up your dish, alternate lentils and semolina. Season with the condiment, sprinkle with lemon zest (huge difference, dont skip this!:) Enjoy!